Explore

Wednesday 28 October 2015

Letter #20 - Appearing polished and perfect

Dear readers,

When I was 12, I saw the most amazingly pretty movie, with pretty people and pretty places and pretty shoes and I was instantly in love. That movie was 'The Devil wears Prada' and it is a fantastic film for a number of reasons but that opening sequence of perfection is something I still go back and watch when I need a pick me up. (apologies in advance for the poor quality of the clip I managed to find. It certainly wasn't polished or perfect!)

I've never been the most materialistic person, never really been one to buy in excess of things I need, even as a child. But I always have the time to appreciate beautiful things. I've heard people say that they are exactly that, just things; they hold no purpose other than to be and so they are unnecessary. But I don't think they could be any more wrong. Those things, those objects to own, can aid our own confidence and act as inspiration in our day to day lives. Wearing that dress, that pair of heels, that necklace... They all add up to make us stand a little taller and walk a little further with a smile on our face. 

Now I'm not saying that those things are an absolute. We don't need them and if we're feeling slightly down in the dumps, they won't always be the pick me up that we need. But sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.

For me, at least, I love this idea I have in my mind of being absolutely polished and not frazzled as I go about my day so that is always what I aim for. I very very rarely get there but I feel good when I aim for it. I don't necessarily have to achieve it; it's just nice to know that it's there and it's manageable for some people.

Polished can mean a range of things to a range of people. It might simply mean following basic daily hygiene rules, or it may mean looking like you walked straight off the runway. Whichever end of the spectrum you fit, or anywhere in between, I think it's always nice to make the effort. If you can and if that's what you want. You don't have to, by any means. I mean, I love love love my pyjama days and don't actually know how I will be able to dress myself once university ends.

Lounge wear chic may forever be my dressing style and I wouldn't mind one bit. But even before being exposed to this superficial world of things, it was my mother who instilled in me the need to be presentable. 

With her always being quite a private person, she used to pride herself on the fact that no matter how bad her day may have been going,  she could slick on a layer of burgundy lipstick and her green eyeliner, a combination that to this day I think only she can pull off! And she would be ready. Ready to face the world and to plaster a smile to her face. I really admired that in her and I find some days, when she no longer cares, that I have to remind her of her philosophy and I can proudly say, it lifts her spirits a lot. 

What I've, sadly, noticed however is that to some people, taking pride in your appearance or in being pretty is something to mock. As if, someone can't be both pretty and intelligent; the concept still baffles me and and I have to say I don't quite understand it. I think it's funny that we can be judged upon the way we look whether we take pride in our appearance or don't. It can be a lose lose situation.

I know that to some, it can seem frivolous and unnecessary but to other, it's a routine. It's familiar and it's comforting and why should they be judged for making a little extra effort? It makes me sad for people, that they can be so close minded. 

Personally I love it all. The time and effort that some will put into their appearance and in being primped and polished. But at the same time, I have come to the realisation of just how apt "everything in moderation" is. 

I found that being too focused on how I look, ends up reflecting on how I feel. While I can curb it in, I have known people who couldn't. It starts out as a fun hobby and turns into the focus of their day. If they aren't dressed as well as they hope to be, or didn't have enough time for their usual routine, it's like a dark cloud hanging over their whole day. And that's when I think it just gets sad. Anything that sucks the joy out of something once enjoyable is a bad seed in my book!

So if that sounds like you, take a break, step back and break away from your routine for a day, a week, just however long it takes. Hopefully you can go back into things with fresh eyes.

Okay, well a pretty average post has turned quite deep so I think that's my cue. Ultimately focus on what you want and need in life. A change can be good as can routine and familiarity. And remember, primping and perfecting your outer self can lead to a calm in your inner being and if that's what you need, go for it. 

I think I'll take my own advice and change things up, maybe even give the pyjamas a rest for a little while...maybe not!

Until next time, be inspired...

Love, Z


1 comment: